LAMP Optimization Tips
Below are couple of good points about LAMP optimization. I have figured that out after doing some googling and reading some PDF..
Disable unwanted Apache Modules:
- Disable all the apache modules like perl,python,proxy etc except php,mysql which are required for your application.
- Enable only mod_php and mod_rewrite
- Disable everything else (java, python)
- Too low: you can’t serve a traffic spike
- Too high: your memory cannot keep up with the load, and you start swapping (server dies!)
- 5 to 10 seconds
- More than that, it ties up procesess
- You can set to None and move Drupal’s .htaccess contents to vhosts
- Less filesystem accesses
Compromise of CPU usage vs. Bandwidth usage
- use Nginx if possible, its very fast and stable.
- USE MyISAM Engine wherever is possible – Its has good read speed
- Probably the most important thing to tune
- Table cache
- Also important Key buffer
- Use a recent version
- Install an Opcode cache / Accelerator
- Zend (commerical)
Opcode cache Benefits
- Dramatic speed up of applications, specially complex ones like Drupal
- Significant decrease in CPU utilization
- Considerable decrease in memory utilization
- The biggest impact on a busy site
- May crash often
- Use logwatcher to auto restart Apache
Note: eAccelerator uses the least memory and provides the most speed
Hope above point helps you in understanding what is important for your environment.